8.15.2012

Chocolate Cake


When it comes to cake, chocolate is my fave. Sometimes I like it with chocolate icing, sometimes vanilla buttercream. Since it was my bday I decided to have both!
I remember one birthday when my mom was going to order me a cake from the local bakery. I told her to save the money and make me a box chocolate cake. Maybe I've never been to a really good bakery, but I'm often times less impressed with the cake and wishing I had a simple box cake. Well, I figured that being a baker and all it might look bad if I busted out the box. Trust I have a few on back up in case a recipe goes wrong!

A few months ago Croc brought over some cake that his mom had made for her bday. And it was delicious! I insisted that he get me the recipe. Luckily he obliged and I've been saving it so fopr my bday cup cakes! It tastes like box cake, but even better! Paul said (with chocolate icing dripping down the side of his mouth) that this was the best thing I've ever made. He's said that a few times, but I might have to agree on this.

Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake
2 c sugar
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 c Hershey's Cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 c boiling water

  1. Preheat oven to 350* and place cupcake wrappers in pan.
  2. Mix together all dry ingredients (sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder & soda, sat)
  3. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract - beat on medium for 2 min. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thing).
  4. pour into cupcake liners (2/3 full).
  5. Bake 22-25min or until it passes the toothpick test.
  6. let cool for 10 min then remove from pan and place on cooling rack.
Note: to make icing the cake/cupcakes easier, place in the fridge to completely cool.


"Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Frosting
adapted from Hershey

1 stick butter
2/3 c cocoa (I used Hershey's...obviously)
3 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/3 c milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs meringue  powder
  1. Melt butter
  2. Stir in cocoa
  3. Stir in powdered sugar and milk - alternating
  4. Stir in vanilla & meringue powder
Buttercream
Adapted from Wilton

1 lb powdered sugar (4 cups)
1 c shortening
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 tbs meringue powder
2 tbs water

  1. Pour everything except for the powdered sugar into a large bowl.
  2. slowly mix in powdered sugar (to help limit the mess!)
  3. consistency varies by climate...so add more water if needed to make icing more spreadable.

1 comment: