2.06.2013

Cinnamon Swirl Loaf Bread



Grandma and I had a bake-a-thon when I visited last October. Pretty sure I mentioned that when I posted a few things we made. We also made my new fave: cinnamon swirl bread.

Back in 2007 I ran my first (and only full) marathon with Team in Training. We had a few bake sales as fundraisers. I, of course, dominated that. I raised about 1/4 of my goal in the few bake sales that we held. Anyway, my grandma baked like a boss to help me with the first one. She made a few things that I hadn't seen before, including this cinnamon swirl bread. I obviously couldn't try it because it was for charity, but I had been wanting a taste after all of these years. 

Ok, so when grandma asked me what was on my baking list, I had a flash back to the bake sale days and knew that this was my chance to finally get some of that cinnamon swirl bread. It was def worth the wait! It was good plain or toasted with butter. I.die. just thinking about it now.

And? It was so fun to make! I think I love baking bread and can't wait to make more!



And now for the recipe, brought to you by Grandma:

Cinnamon Swirl Loaf Bread
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups milk scalded
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 tsp. salt
1 pkg rapid rise yeast
7 1/2 - 8 cups flour
2 slightly beaten eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
soft butter or oleo

Mix first 5 ingredients togetherAdd 3 cups flour mix well, add eggsAdd enough of remaining flour to make soft dough.Knead 8-10 min. This is hand kneading (old recipe) your mixer will knead the dough. You can choose how long.
Place in a lightly greased bowl-Turn to grease it all over.Cover and let rise 10 minutes (This replaces the long rise using plain yeast) 

Divide dough in half. Makes 2 loaves.  Roll to 15" x 7" rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.Spread soften butter (oleo) on dough, mix cinnamon and sugar, sprinkle over dough.



Roll- Begin with narrow side, Pinch dough to seal, Placed sealed edge down in 2 greased  9 1/2 x 5 x 3 (loaf pan). 

Cover-Let rise 45 to 60 min. till double,

Bake 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes



3 comments:

  1. YUM!!!!!!!!! Love the KitchenAid! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good! i've never baked with yeast, i always feel like it's going to be super hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma eats that raisin cinnamon swirl bread with everything...she even makes turkey sandwiches with it. Gross, I know, but wouldn't she just love this homemade version? Love it!

    ReplyDelete